A landmark defeat for the SFO
Infinite Global was instructed by a former senior executive of one of the largest retailers in the UK, who was criminally charged alongside two other defendants with fraud and false accounting in relation to a £250m scandal.
We provided comprehensive litigation PR and reputation management counsel over a 15-month period:
- Establishing a communication strategy focused on communicating our client’s position vis-à-vis their former employer’s actions and the conduct of the SFO.
- Managing reputation amidst opposition counter-briefing and subtle smear tactics without a) risking contempt of court and b) compromising our client’s unfair dismissal employment claim which would recommence upon criminal acquittal.
- Maintaining regular communication (off-record) with Tier 1 UK, US and European media.
- Responding quickly on the eve of verdict when the first trial collapsed due to a co-defendant’s ill-health.
- Fielding legal counsel as spokesperson (on- and off-record) at multiple opportunities.
- Seizing all subsequent media opportunities for coverage, including the acquittal of a third defendant (in separate trial) and publication of £129m Deferred Prosecution Agreement between the retailer and the and SFO.
Our client was acquitted in a ruling that raises serious questions about the SFO’s ability to investigate highly complex cases and its use future use of plea bargains via Deferred Prosecutions Agreements.
During our engagement, more than 300 pieces of media coverage were secured for our client and legal counsel.